Friday, December 25, 2009

Maturity-heard it your whole life

I have been thinking about something lately. Maturity- seems so boring, overly important, and an ill standard when it comes to love. My entire life, people have always thought I was older than I was. And, not gonna lie, I tried to be for most of it. haha now I have stopped hearing it as much. People still say I look like I am older or whatever. So here is where I am trying to get.

The other day my friend told someone who cut their hair that the do made them look very "mature, older than you are. You look like you are in your twenties." Now this is not to make fun of her hair, because I still stand by the fact that it is fabulous. But I thought, how funny because this particular person has always given compliments such aas this and pursued looking mature.

Recently I have become quite taken with letting go of all reservations, I guess I'd say. Perhaps doing immature things to make someone smile or just edify the fact that I'd rather care about people than what people think. So I laugh at the occasional condescending look I will get from somebody. It makes me crack up when I hear someone say that a person I know has greater insight than them is immature. Now I have taken to feeling pity for those people and for the stated perspective.

Goodness gracious, why are you in such a hurry to look as if you have reached the mental capacity of an old person?!?! here is what I am getting at. I wasted my time. I wasn't happy. Trying to be mature to some people means being a skeptic and being boring I suppose. I find that it is a far far greater wisdom to through this standard aside. I find it far far more wise to have the wide happy eyes of a child. To look at the world in faith. To, yes indeed, have childlike faith.

Having joy is not immaturity. Retaining wide eyes of innocence in this world of whoredom is okay. I think it is great. Dear God, people think you are aware of the world to a greater extent when you joke of dirty things behind closed doors.

It's two o'clock in the morning and what I really want to say, is have a childlike faith. Do not mistake joy for immaturity. Do not mistake innocence for unawareness. Do not mistake a free spirit for ignorance.

No comments: